The Historic Meridian Park neighborhood is located in the Mid-North area just north of downtown Indianapolis near the Children’s Museum. A collection of historically significant homes anchors the neighborhood, but adjacent decay and the loss of neighborhood-oriented commercial areas caused concern among neighbors. CAP:IC facilitated a design charrette workshop in partnership with the neighborhood association to develop visions for the future of the neighborhood as it celebrated its 100th anniversary.
Six placemaking strategies were suggested, including:
- Define the neighborhood by extending neighborhood boundaries,
- Restore and maintain the historic character of the homes,
- Develop a network of active public places through sidewalks and parks,
- Beautify the street corridors,
- Encourage mixed-use anchors that add vibrancy, and
- Incorporate identity into new development.